Directed Energy Test & Evaluation Conference
2-4 August 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico|
Co-Hosted by the
International Test & Evaluation Association
Directed energy (DE) is an important and expanding
technology area for the military. Taken to include
High Energy Laser (HEL) and High Power Microwave
(HPM) systems, DE is creating a new class of weapons.
Military test and evaluation (T&E) is currently adapting
to these radically new technologies. New measures, methods,
and facilities are required for adequate T&E of these systems.
The purpose of this tenth annual conference was to
continue exchanging insights, experiences and ideas
regarding DE T&E. As major DE systems progress
through the various phases of T&E, critical questions
arise regarding our ability to perform appropriate and
affordable T&E. In addition, important issues regarding
the vulnerability of other, more conventional systems were
also of great interest to the DE T&E community. This
conference provided a forum to discuss the current
and future issues facing DE T&E.
|Photo courtesy of Jay Blackwood |
and the Albuquerque CVB
- Technical Presentations
- Short Courses
- Poster Papers
- Product and Service Exhibits from Industry, Government, and Academia
- Featured Speakers
- Tim Andreadis, Naval Research Laboratory
- Douglas Beason, Air Force Space Command
- Mike Dieckhoff, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center
- Mark Neice, High Energy Laser-Joint Technology Office
- Minh Vuong, Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training, and Instrumentation
- Panels, Luncheons, and an Evening Reception
- DE Effects Committee Meeting
- Classified and Unclassified Sessions
The detailed program, including specific sessions
and presentations within those sessions, is available here for download.
Tour at Kirtland Air Force Base
A tour of the Air Force Research Laboratory's Starfire Optical Range (SOR) was held on
Friday, 5 August. This world-class optical research facility and center for Air Force strategic optical
exploration is located on a hilltop site (6,240 feet above sea level) on Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico.
Location & Accommodations
The DE T&E Conference was held at the Embassy
Suites Albuquerque - Hotel & Spa, located at 1000 Woodward Pl. NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102.